Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Planet Yoga: New Blog!!! Meet Yogi Moises of Planet Yoga Hong Kong!!


So, how did you become a yogi?
My grandma was a yoga teacher in Mexico; she was very into vegetarianism and spirituality--she actually went to learn yoga India in 1971! I grew up seeing her teach private classes in our home.
Also,my mother ran a detox clinic where she helped people with alcohol and drug addictions by giving them treatment.
I saw daily how people transformed and got healthier through meditation and exercise. I was especially surprised about the physical difference I witnessed in them.That is very interesting. Did you knew when you were very young that you wanted to help people by becoming a yogi?
Not immediately no. I did a lot of soul searching first. I went to a Jewish school in Mexico--where I come from; and after I graduated high school I went to live and work in Israel for 8 months. I worked as a farmer!
I think that experience gave me the time to really think about what I wanted to do and how I wanted to live my life. I think that is when I knew I wanted to become a yoga teacher.Also, it really helped to keep me grounded as a person. From working on the farm and cooking for myself, I also became very interested in eating healthy and wholesome foods.Can you give us some simple fitness tips?
Actually when I was younger I was very into body building and contemporary dance! Especially in dance, we did a lot of yoga moves to work on our flexibility and help us warm up before a routine.
I did find that I got quite stiff from lifting weights and you build a different kind of muscle. Bodybuilding builds stiff and bulky muscles, while yoga is good for leaner muscles.
My advice is to do activities that you find fun, whether it is Power Yoga or Bollywood Dancing! It is important to enjoy the activity because that is the only way you would be motivated to continue.Very true, do a lot of your students prefer classes at Planet Yoga because they get bored at the gym?
That is a common reason many members prefer taking classes here--there is a good variety of classes from more aerobic intensive styles like Ashtanga to Hatha Flow where the poses are dynamic but not as challenging. They are never bored because there are so many classes they can try out!
Also, yoga trains us to stay present and gain awareness--that is why the focus on breathing is always emphasized. So many people go to the gym only to distract themselves with videos, music or even their phone! When practicing yoga, I always remind my students to pay attention to how their body and muscles feel.


We heard that you have a strict diet where you ate mostly raw and vegan food. What are some foods we should add or limit so we could stay healthy?
I would suggest eating less sugar, processed food, red meat and fried food. Some great foods to add to your diet are raw green leaves in salads, fresh juices, almonds and dates. People in Hong Kong are very busy---dried fruit and nuts are a very convinent snack that is also extremely good for your body!Finally, what does real yoga mean to you?Real yoga is a place where everyone can become aware of who we are as a being. Where we can be unafraid of opening our heart, our mind and our body.

No comments: